Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I'm Baaaack!

Life Lesson #101: When you coach the rest of your life gets put on hold.
Life Lesson #102: What you put on hold for a bit, can become a VERY long bit!

The last time I blogged it was just before my field hockey season started. Since that time, the season came and went and so did the wrestling season (hubby's "baby"). Along with that came the winter field hockey season, lots of trips to the Dome and all over (including 5 days in Florida, THANKS, honey!!)

Now, it's time to breathe ... and create!

Just over a year ago I set a goal for myself to accomplish a few things as I had just turned, dare I say it, 50. This year, when the end of the year rolled around, I found I had done about 1/2 the things on the list, not bad in my book. But I didn't want to just bring the list forward, I wanted to do something a little different for this year.

I mentioned all the coaching - that takes time. When you have to figure out what to give up to make things all fit, time for yourself to create (ie: sew and such for me) is the first to go. What I found is that THAT isn't a good thing for me. I need that outlet ... diversion ... whatever you want to call it, so I have a NEW goal for this year.

Something crafty every day. Yup, EVERYDAY! So far, it's been pretty fun, and creative, and good for me!

It helped immensely that for my birthday in January I was the eager recipient of a Brother Embroidery Machine. Yes, I've joined the ranks of those addicted folks and wow, is it fun!! The great part is that I can sew up a design while doing a zillion other things - fits my personality perfectly!! I do have to say though, it is VERY addictive!! Especially if you are like me and if it says "sale" or BOGO, then I'm in! I have to say that Embroidery Library is my favorite and I eagerly await the weeks specials...yup, I said it. :o)

So, back to the year's quest ... I'm pretty generous with myself as to what "crafting/creating" is each day. There are days that it means I am at one of my machines (of which the NEXT is going to be a serger....more on that later!) putting something together. It also means shopping (can't go wrong there) when I am looking for material, goodies or ideas. Same goes for reading, both books and online as well as brainstorming for what's next! There are people that do this sort of thing focused on a single task, like creating a design a day ~ that would be setting myself up for failure! So .... I'll be posting some of my results in the coming days and months. That is until field hockey rolls around again...but maybe I can hold tight on this one!

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment