Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fruity Fun!

So... here's my idea...

I thought, "Let's have some fun together!" I found a pretty easy quilt block (Shoo Fly, at Quilt.com) that I thought most of us could do.

Here's what I'll do: I will send the first 5 commentors some fruit to make the block! (You keep whatever scraps you don't use and SAVE THEM!  More ideas for that later...)  After all 6 of us are done (hee hee, MINE'S finished!!) we'll draw someone's name and that person get's all 6 blocks!! You can make a table runner, wall hanging, the start of a quilt for your bed, whatever!! What do you think?

If you are in and are one of the first 5, I'll need you to mail me your address to carrie dot whittemore at gmail dot com and I'll ship them out to you.  It's as easy as that!  If you just want to create along with us (or you are number 6, 7, 8...)  feel free to follow my directions below (or visit Quilt dot com for their directions).  I will create a place to view what we've done either in a Yahoo group, on Flicker, or whatever I can figure out!

You in?

If so, here we go!!

I will send the first five people one of the fruit fabrics I have (you will have NO IDEA which one you are receiving...muahahaha!)
  1. You need to select (from your stash or a trip to the fabric store... oh.... toooo bad!!) a coordinating fabric to go along with what your fruits.
  2. First, from the fruity fabric you received, you need to cut one block, 4 1/2" square.  Then two blocks 4 7/8" square.  From your coordinate you need to cut four blocks that are 4 1/2" square and two that are 4 7/8" square.
  3. Cut the 4 7/8" squares into triangles.
  4. Lay out your block.
  5. Using 1/4" seams, begin by sewing the pairs of triangles together, press the seam and lay out on your table space.  Do all four pairs.
  6. Then, sew the rows together, again using 1/4" seams.  For the top and bottom, sew a half triangle block to a full square and repeat for the other side. For the middle row, sew the three squares together. Lay them out to check (any Oopsies?)
  7. Now you are ready to sew the rows together.  Check your seams, pin and sew with 1/4" seam.  Press.  Repeat with the third row.  Press. 
  8. Admire!
  9. Take a photo and post it!!
  10. Wait to see if you win all six!
Let's get sewing, ladies!
Hugs,
Carrie




18 comments:

  1. Oh this sounds like fun!!! Can't wait to see all the blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've created a Yahoo group for anyone who jumps in and wants to post pictures of their work. You'll find it at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/whittskitscreativecrafters/

    Have a great day,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. sound like a lot of fun to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colleen's is in the mail ~ just email me your address frankandelaine1 and you get the next fruits! It's carrie dot whittemore at gmail dot com.
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like fun. by the time blogger lets me sign in you will probably have all your names.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are in, Carla! Something "yummy" will be on it's way to you tomorrow!
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. this sounds like fun! I want to play


    sueH

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are in, Sue! Welcome! Just email me your addy to carrie dot whittemore at gmail dot com (put a . at the "dot" and @ at the "at") and it will go right out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have one more left! Colleen, Elaine, Carla & Sue all have yummy fabric heading their way!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to play, I want to play! Am I too late?

    ReplyDelete
  11. You JUST made it in, Joni! Lol! Remind me of your address and the last piece of yummy fabric is on it's way to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Got mine!! Now to go through my stash, hehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Got my yummy banana's today! Now to make my block. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Got my apples today and already made my block.Going to go post it now! thanks it was so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Got my "cantaloupes" yesterday afternoon, and cut out and am stitching up my square while my other machine is embroidering a very detailed design (making placemats for my neighbor for her birthday!)...Will be anxious to show you my placemats as well as my square in a few hours!!
    Joni

    ReplyDelete
  16. And the winner is....




    ..... JONI!!

    Congrats, my dear! All your blocks will soon be on the way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Carrie! And thank you ALL!!! I am looking forward to putting the squares together! Fun Fun Fun!

    ReplyDelete