I thought, "Let's have some fun together!" I found a pretty easy quilt block (Shoo Fly, at Quilt.com) that I thought most of us could do.
Here's what I'll do: I will send the first 5 commentors some fruit to make the block! (You keep whatever scraps you don't use and SAVE THEM! More ideas for that later...) After all 6 of us are done (hee hee, MINE'S finished!!) we'll draw someone's name and that person get's all 6 blocks!! You can make a table runner, wall hanging, the start of a quilt for your bed, whatever!! What do you think?
If you are in and are one of the first 5, I'll need you to mail me your address to carrie dot whittemore at gmail dot com and I'll ship them out to you. It's as easy as that! If you just want to create along with us (or you are number 6, 7, 8...) feel free to follow my directions below (or visit Quilt dot com for their directions). I will create a place to view what we've done either in a Yahoo group, on Flicker, or whatever I can figure out!
If so, here we go!!
I will send the first five people one of the fruit fabrics I have (you will have NO IDEA which one you are receiving...muahahaha!)
- You need to select (from your stash or a trip to the fabric store... oh.... toooo bad!!) a coordinating fabric to go along with what your fruits.
- First, from the fruity fabric you received, you need to cut one block, 4 1/2" square. Then two blocks 4 7/8" square. From your coordinate you need to cut four blocks that are 4 1/2" square and two that are 4 7/8" square.
- Cut the 4 7/8" squares into triangles.
- Lay out your block.
- Using 1/4" seams, begin by sewing the pairs of triangles together, press the seam and lay out on your table space. Do all four pairs.
- Then, sew the rows together, again using 1/4" seams. For the top and bottom, sew a half triangle block to a full square and repeat for the other side. For the middle row, sew the three squares together. Lay them out to check (any Oopsies?)
- Now you are ready to sew the rows together. Check your seams, pin and sew with 1/4" seam. Press. Repeat with the third row. Press.
- Take a photo and post it!!
- Wait to see if you win all six!