Sunday, April 1, 2012

Coasters from .16 cent tiles!

Rabbit, Rabbit and Happy April Fool's Day!

You'll notice there is a tile in the set heading out to someone on Monday, after Sunday night's drawing.  I decided to experiment with tiles and paper first.

This project requires the following:
  • ceramic tile ($.16 at Home Depot - 10 for $1.60, can't beat that project cost!)
  • scrapbook paper
  • Mod Podge
  • Something to "seal" the Mod Podge (I am NOT sure what to use at this point - I'll be researching!  If you have ideas, let me know!!) to make it waterproof.
Here's how it went:
Materials to get things rolling


First, cut a piece of scrap paper to fit the top of the tile.  Then cover the tile with a layer of Mod Podge.  I like using the sponge brushes to apply it.  I did also learn (shall we say the hard way?) to wipe the mouth of the jar BEFORE closing it!  It's glue, guys - if you don't, it glues itself shut!!  I had to run it under warm water... sit it upside down in warm water and WRENCH the top off the first time!  Since then, when I am done, I wipe the top of the container clean.


Then, lay the piece of scrap paper on the tile and cover IT with a layer of Mod Podge.  Press around the edges and where ever else you see bubbles or lifted paper.  This gets a bit gooey - so be it!


I added an additional layer of a quote from the friendship booklet in the first picture.  I laid it on while the first layer was drying and went right over it with more goop!

Here is the evening's result:



It was my first time using Mod Podge on that sort of surface.  I can see the brush lines up close - not that that's a problem, just an observation.

Now my question is, friends, if I want to use this as a coaster, what would I brush on OVER it to seal it?  Some sort of varnish product?  Who's done one and wants to weigh in?  Let me know!

Now you've seen one of the projects that intrigued me as far as my Pinterest DIY projects.  I hope you pop on over and see what else is in store!  Muahahaha!

Happy creating, everyone and enjoy the day!
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment