Sunday, April 15, 2012

How to: Lace & Fabric Throw Pillow

 Good morning, all!

I was toying around with what to do with more of the lovely fabric I got this week and thought it would be fun to mix it up a bit with some lace goodies.  My girls selected the doily, a vintage piece I picked up in a box of treats some years ago.

Here's a quick throw pillow you might want to try!

I started by looking at the lace and figuring out how big I could make the pillow based on that.  I added 1/2" to each side and cut the fabric that size.  There was a bit of directionality to the print, so that helped me decide how to cut it, as well.


I sewed the two pieces together, pressed open the seam and then centered the doily and pinned it along the seam.  That will form the top edge of the pillow.


Next, I sewed, using a narrow zig zag stitch around the design in such a way that it wouldn't be noticed. 


At this point, I turned it inside out and sewed along the edges, leaving a 3" opening on the bottom to fill the pillow.  I also pinned the lace back out of the way, so it wouldn't get accidentally caught.



Time to turn it right side out and stuff!


Once I stuffed it, I thought it needed just a bit more for decoration - it was rather plain.  So, I pulled out my little "button maker kit" and used what was there to make the last two buttons I could with that one!  If you have never played with one of these, I heartily recommend it!  They are way fun!  I'll do a posting on how to, when I get myself some more!




I took the two buttons and sewed them one to another THROUGH the pillow and pulled it snug.  I love it!


Hope everyone has a lovely Sunday!
Carrie


No comments:

Post a Comment