Friday, April 4, 2014

Roll them up... Sew them up... Sausage-Style Pillowcases!

I thought that since I'm making pillowcases for the Million Pillowcase Challenge, that I would share with you a reposting of how it's done.  I promise you that once you've done one, you will be whipping them up like candy!


It was almost 3 years ago when I first posted the "how to" for these and oodles have been made since!

Here's the info I posted back in April, 2011 and would love to share with you!

You need:
3/4 yard of fabric for the body of the pillowcase
2" strip of coordinating fabric for the trim
10" of coordinating fabric for the accent

1. Begin by ironing your 2" trim strip in half, wrong sides together.

2. Lay the accent fabric on your work surface, right side up. 
3. Lay the 2" trim strip on top, matching the raw edges.
4. Lay the body fabric right side down, on top of the other two, matching the edges.  Pin across the raw edges.


5. Roll the body fabric UP towards the pins, until it's about 3" wide.


6. The accent fabric will now be "longer".  Bring it up over the body fabric, matching the raw edges and pin securely.


7. Sew along that edge with a 1/4" seam.


8. Pull the fabric out through one of the ends, hence the name "sausage."

 
9. Press the fabric.

Now, to create the French Seam to keep the raw edges encased.

10. Pin the WRONG sides together and sew a 1/4" seam down the side.  Stop and do another seam across the bottom.


11. Carefully trim off a wee bit, to take off any excess threads.


12. Turn the pillowcase INSIDE OUT and press the seams again. Then sew along the edge, creating your French Seam.  I use a 3/8" seam, to be sure my 1/4" seam is tucked inside.


13. Turn right side out and you are done!


There you go!  I want to thank everyone who's giving such wonderful words of encouragement.  Don't forget, for EVERY pillowcase kit I sell this month, I'm making one and donating it!   You can find the kits in my Ebay store and my Etsy Shop.  Here are some of the sets I have as of this very moment:




It's your turn to make some!
Have fun,
Carrie

2 comments:

  1. I've made tons of these as kiddie gifts. They always seem to be appreciated. Good luck with your efforts.

    ReplyDelete