Sunday, March 25, 2012

Bows for this and that!

Good morning!

I was having some fun out surfing Pinterest last night and found a wonderful tutorial for making absolutely SUPER EASY-PEASY bows!  Not only that, but I fell in love with her website!  Definitely stop by and see what she has happening (oh... and following her on Pinterest, OF COURSE!)

My initial thought, when I saw the bows was "Oh goodie!  I can make them for the boys!" (grandsons, 18 months and coming up on 3) but then I saw how cute they were and I thought "OH MY! Perfect to pop on headbands for the girls in my world!"

So, here's the result:



Aren't they sweet?!?!?

You can pop over to Stacie's website and check out her tutorial as well.  (A totally fun website!!)

Here's how it went for me:
Start with a piece of fabric for the "body" of the bow.  Stacie recommends 9".  I did some at 9", some at 10" and one at 12".
Then you need the little piece that holds it all together.  I went with 2" wide for most and the width of the fabric.


After cutting and pressing flat (a bit OCD where that is concerned....) you need to fold the sides in on themselves. I pressed with the iron again here.


Then, you take the larger piece and fold the ends towards each other, making a "bow sandwich," so to speak.


Now, it's going to start looking like a bow.  With a needle and thread, make a running stitch along the mid-line and pull to gather it and squinch the bow.



The last step is to take the smaller piece and wrap it around the bow.  Here's your last chance to be sure you keep things snug so it has the right shape. Fold the first edge down and then fold the second edge over and sew it to the bottom one, securing the tie.


Viola!

When I realized they might be a bit fun on a headband I took it, ran the headband through and then tacked it on.


Here's the result:

How fun!  You'll be seeing some more projects here using bows, I am thinking!!
Have a crafty Sunday,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment