Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tomato Basil Soup

Good morning, all!

It's time for something yummy and this recipe is GREAT! 

I've been on a tomato soup kick, perhaps from trying Panera's Grilled Cheese and Tomato soup?  Could be...not sure...needless to say, I was in the mood and gave the following a try.

I found a recipe over at More Fruit Please that I tweaked due to what I had available.  You can find her recipe there and my adaptation here today.  (BTW - loved her photograph - was the reason I tried this one!)

My version... :o)

Tomato/Basil Soup

1 28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes (crushed = less work in pureeing them later!)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove garlic if you have it in stock)
1 tbsp olive oil
2 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped basil (I had some froze, fresh would be lovely and do-able this summer for me, dried if you have nothing else)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp sugar
salt & pepper (just because you need a wee bit)
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 cup shredded cheddar (or whatever cheese you have!!)

Start by sauteing the onions and garlic in the olive oil for several minutes and then add the entire can of tomatoes (liquid and all) plus the chicken stock (or stock of your preference).  Next, add the rest of the spices and simmer for 8-10 minutes.

Once the base is cooked, use your immersion blender or food processor to puree. I used a small food processor.  BIG mistake - I had soup EVERYWHERE!!  Hence, I purchased an immersion blender immediately and will be using that from now on...yea gods it was a mess....

Return the mixture to the pot (if you used said food processor) and add the Greek yogurt and the cheese.  I have to be honest here, at this point, mine DIDN'T look so good.  But don't let it fool you - it tastes AMAZING!!  Add a few croutons and a salad and lunch is ready!

I also froze a portion of what I made.  I am the only tomato souper here, so I had some that day and the next and then froze the rest to take with me to work in a bit.

What's your favorite soup?  Do tell...
Hugs,
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment