Thursday, April 11, 2013

Paper.li - Curate the Info You Want to Read!

Good morning, friends -

I was introduced to a new concept that I want to share: Paper.li - a site where you can create your own online newspaper!
You can "automatically find, publish &  promote engaging articles, photos and videos from across the web" - Here's a glimpse at mine:


You go in, give your newspaper a title and begin adding content sources.  I selected Twitter feeds that used the words "quilting", "knitting", "scrapbooking" and Pinterest to start.  Then, I chose websites I thought would have interesting feeds that fall in the same theme, such as JoAnn's & Michael's, All People Quilt and Scrapbooking.com.  You can find oodles more!

All you do is click the + sign and over they go, to the right hand column, ready to say "fetch" (so to speak). Once you give Paper.li the green light, out it goes, finding, checking and pulling together interesting articles, photos and videos from all over the world on that topic!  Seriously, this could get addictive.

You can choose whether you want it to publish 2 times a day, once a day or once a week.  The articles and information will remain the same till that time.  I embedded it on the side of my blog.  All you need to do, to go to the entire paper is click on the title "The World of Crafts" (you'll see the link come up) and off you go to a full-size copy you can read on the screen.

If you click on the little envelop next to "Share" you can subscribe to my paper, The World of Crafts and receive it in your inbox each day!  I am soooo excited!  Dee at Moonpreneur.net pointed me to this and deserves a BIG hug and THANK YOU! She does a nice job of explaining things and got me on my way.

Once you make your own, you can embed it in a post (like the one above) or put it in to your blog (like the one in the lower right here).  To find the HTML open the newspaper and click on "Share" - it asks you if you want to share it, embed it or promote it (both are viewed differently on a website).

What do you think?  Do you like the first version?  I will be toying with it over time, so take a peek later and see what you think.  I like some of the videos, myself.

The free version, which I am trying out, doesn't allow me to control the content very well - if you see something you think isn't appropriate, let me know.  Paper.li is choosing what is shown - which may very well change if I decide I like it.  The upgraded version is $9/month - it's pretty reasonable, but I want to see what you all think of it, first.  If you like it and find it useful, I will upgrade and have even more fun!

So, take a peek and if you have a chance, come back and give me some input.
Quilty hugs,
Carrie

12 comments:

  1. Good one. You'll have fun with PaperLi.

    I have several PaperLi editions on a variety of topics:

    Budget Boons & Buck Stretchers
    Cat's Curiosity: Feline Features
    Cheers for Careers & Job Frontiers
    Daily Doggy Digest: Dogosphere News
    Equestrian News Express
    Garden Variety Society
    Great Gifted Birthdays and Bonuses
    Holiday Success & Largesse
    Keep S'Myelin: MS News Roundup
    Loss = Gain: On Dieting & Fitness
    Poems & Ponderings
    A Raft of Crafts: Arts & Parts
    Railside Roundup - Horse Racing Buzz
    Silhouette of Etiquette
    Wonderful Weddings & Wisdom

    Fun stuff. These editions highlight my online articles and blogs, fellow writers' publications, and related items from many other sources.

    Visiting from UBC group. Thanks for stopping in at Practically at Home. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent - I will take a look for them!
    Thanks for stopping by - Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks interesting!
    I must say, I worry about social media overwhlem for myself, so tend to stick to 'good old' Facebook pretty much exclusively.
    Who knows which new ones may get to criticial mass - maybe this one?

    Cheers, Gordon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It is - I am learning how to modify it. I don't like some of what comes up "first" - not sure how to deal with that, but such is the life of a "publisher" eh? :o)
      Thanks for stopping by, Regina.

      Delete
  5. I've been hearing a lot of Paper.li but been a bit apprehensive to check it it. So many other things are competing for my attention and I don't want to get addicted to another social media platform! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carlana - the nice part is, you spend some time setting it up (and tweaking it, I've found so far) and then it runs itself. I've created it for my readers, to give them more access to current crafting stories, video, etc.

    As far as the tweaking, I've gone in and deleted stories and such that didn't fit what I was looking for.

    We shall see - thanks for stopping by,Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, Carrie. I'm really going to try it out. Thanks for sharing. I hadn't heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hadn't either, Susan - it was Dee on UBC that mentioned it. Thanks goes out to her. I plan on trying a few more to see how they work, but this one was a fun place to start!
    Thanks for coming by,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the mention Carrie, and really glad you found a place for Paper.li. It's a great way to research a new niche, and see if a passing interest can develop into a full fledged blog.

    Have a fantastic day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome, Dee. It will need tweaking - I've already gone in and resourced a few times...but like the idea and what it can provide.

      Enjoy your day - Carrie

      Delete