Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Multi-tasking = baking bread... Oh my... dill/onion loaf!

We were out of bread yesterday, it was pretty cold and I was in the mood... so I whipped up several loaves of pretty tasty yumminess while working on other projects.

**Before I start, I would like to make it clear, Lois, that I DO SLEEP!  And when I do, the next thing I know, it's morning!  :)

Okay... back to the yumminess.

I made plain white bread, of which one became cinnamon, and I experimented with a loaf of dill bread.  I L.O.V.E dill - this bread?  Folks, you need to try this!


It was crispy on the outside and probably the moistest inside I've ever tried.  I would say it was the sour cream.

It didn't rise up immensely, so I was a little afraid of "hockey puck syndrome" - but I was pleasantly surprised and so was hubby.

Here they are, rising on the back of the pellet stove.  Love the smell of rising bread.

Ready for second rising.
Whoa... perfect!
Topped off my veggie/ravioli soup!
There were a couple ingredients I'd never tried in bread, one being sour cream and the other?  Minced onion!  The smell when I was whipping it up was beyond amazing!



Here's how to make it:

Sour Cream Dill Bread
Makes 2 small loaves

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup dairy sour cream
1/3 cup minced onion (1 small)
2 tsp dill weed
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 3/4 - 3 cups flour

Add yeast, sugar and warm water to large mixing bowl and let it "work".
Stir in salt, butter, sour cream minced onion, dillweed, baking soda and egg.
Add half the flour and mix well.  Add enough of remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
Turn out on a floured board and knead 5-10 turns.  (**Unless, you, like me, has a wonderful bread hook on your mixer... so you can just let it do it's magic!)
Return to the bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for about 50 minutes, or until doubled in bulk.
Once it has risen, separate into two small loves and put in greased loaf pan (or round ones, like I did!)  and let rise a second time for 30-40 minutes.
Bake in a pre-heated 350 oven for 40 minutes, or until browned.



This goes VERY well with soup, which was my dinner last night and hubby's and mine's lunch today.

Enjoy!
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment