Saturday, July 3, 2010

4th of July Weekend Shout Out goes to ....




... my Internet friend, Lynnell of Kreationsforkids. Take a gander into Lynnell’s world!



How did you get started?

I began sewing when my daughter (who will be 29 in July) was about 2-1/2 to 3 years old. I loved the ruffly, frilly dresses (she called them rounding dresses) and I could not afford them, so I learned to sew. I quickly found that I loved it and was always trying new things. When my boys came along, I learned to make t-shirts and sweats. I made a lot of their clothes. I was a stay-at-home mom, so I had time to sew. Then I got divorced and had to go to work, so my sewing went away for many years. I hauled my sewing machine and serger around with me for many years, and just a couple of years ago after having grandchildren was I able to devote more time to sewing again, and now I have started my own business and am sewing all the time.



What is your favorite project to create?


My favorite project to create would have to be anything ruffly and/or twirly, although now with my new embroidery machine I love to create designs on fabric with color - much like a box of crayons, only "coloring" on fabric.



How do you get your ideas? Do you start with a fabric or a concept in mind first?


Sometimes I will see a fabric I like and have an idea of what I want to make with it right away. Sometimes I am not sure what I want to do with a piece of fabric when I buy it, but I usually have some idea of what I might do with it. Sometimes I have a definite project in mind and go looking for just the right fabric, and then sometimes that fabric turns out to be not exactly what I wanted for the project and I will choose another.




What other type of crafting to do you?


I used to do counted cross-stitch and hand embroidery, but I no longer do those. I sew and embroider.



Of the items you currently have available, which is your favorite?

I just made an adorable peek-a-boo twirly skirt of the most beautiful aqua fabric (Sweet Pea by RJR) that I just absolutely LOVE!! The minute I saw the fabric for sale I bought some and now I'm wishing I had bought more. I also embroidered a pink t-shirt with a coordinating applique and it turned out pretty well for being a beginner embroiderer.



You recently got an embroidery machine! (very cool!) How do you think that may impact your designs & creations? What do you enjoy about working with it?

I think with the embroidery machine the possibilities are endless!! I still plan to focus on children's items such as clothing, blankets and burp pads, but I may add more down the road. My new machine is a Brother PE770, a middle of the road machine and it is so much fun and actually quite easy to use! It stitches out very well! The main drawback is that the LCD screen is very small and in black and white, but I just have the design on my laptop desktop that I am working on and can see the colors, etc., perfectly fine. I LOVE my embroidery machine!



You make some lovely tutus! What made you decide to produce them?


Thank you! I might not have ventured into the tutu business had I not had several special requests for them when I first started my business in March 2010. I had not sewn on tulle prior to that time and was a little nervous about it, but I figured the only way I would learn was to just do it! And, boy am I glad I did! I think of colors I want to put together sometimes when I should be sleeping, or I put together the colors a customer asks for, but I always then add a ribbon bow and sometimes I add other embellishments as well to finish the tutu completely. I now plan to offer appliqued or embroidered shirts/onesies with tutus as a set. :)




For FUN!How many hats OR shoes to do own?


A woman can never have enough shoes!



What is something that makes you laugh out loud?


Children laughing always makes me laugh!



What is your favorite color?


Pink, pink and pink!



What is your best “stress buster”?


My best stress buster is to sit down with a good, fun book and read and just escape from everything!



Do you have a favorite author? Who is it and which of their works do you enjoy the most?


I absolutely LOVE to read and have several authors I really like, but I would have to say Nora Roberts is my all-time favorite author! She writes about so many different subjects and while all of her books are romance novels in one way or another, many of them have suspense built in and those are my favorite - romantic suspense or mystery. I just finished a series of hers call Night Tales and loved them all!!

Would you like to see some of Lynnell’s “Kreations”? Take a peek: http://www.etsy.com/shop/kreationsforkids

No comments:

Post a Comment