Monday, March 4, 2013

Mining Monday: Handy Handwarmers

Good morning, friends!

I thought I'd dive into today's Mining Monday post with another part of the re-purposed sweater I've been working on.  I started with one I made and then mined for a few more, which you'll find at the end of the post.


For starters, I used the material at hand for shape and size - there wasn't much left, so I went with a bit of a heart.  With right sides together, I sewed it on the outside, leaving a gap to add the flax seed. 


I have done this with rice before - so this was my first try with flax seed.   I did find that the seeds were pretty tiny and were not eager to enter the handwarmer!  They clogged up quickly, getting caught on the fuzziness that comes from felting and needed some coaxing to fill the heart.


Once I had enough in there, I sewed the opening shut and headed out to the microwave to try it.  I only did it for 30 seconds and heard some interesting sounds!  Not sure if that's because of the fact I used flax seed or my microwave, so start out with a short time till you figure it out!   I think I will try rice in the next one.


**BE CAREFUL HEATING THIS UP AND BE  CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU MAKE THE HANDWARMER WITH AS FAR AS MATERIAL.  SOME SHOULD NOT GO IN THE MICROWAVE!!

Here are some other handwarmers you can check out:


How about knitting some from a pattern she called"Whit's Knits"?  How cool is that?  Whitt's Kits talking about Whit's Knits?

 Here's a version, similar to mine, done with rice - nice pictures.

How about re-purposing fleece gloves to make handwarmers?  I love the accents she added.

Here are some colorful, fleece handwarmers.  Sweet!


This last one is really a scarf you can tuck your hands into, sort of a quasi-handwarmer pattern.  (GREAT directions!)

Hope you have a chance to try some yourself.  Let me know how it goes and which one you liked!

Don't forget to enter the contest for a chance at the Sew-No-More Home Decor Book Giveaway that started yesterday and runs through March 10, 2013!!   Just click on the link above!

Later!
Quilty hugs,
Carrie





1 comment:

  1. hi carrie! thanks for the shout out.... such cute projects! xo . rae

    ReplyDelete