Monday, May 17, 2010

The experimenting continues!



So, now that I've gotten the fabric space of my "studio" organized (to the degree that the fabric is SORTED, so I use the word "organized" very loosely)it's time to get the proverbial buttocks moving!

I'm one of those people that like to do lots of different things so I spent time this weekend experimenting with ideas for items I could create using the materials I have at hand, ie: LOTS of fabrics under 1/2 yard!! I've been selling pillowcase kits, those are going well...have some in stock so, what's next?

Well, I had lots of fun making aprons for children this past weekend and thought I'd pop some pix up here and give some directions for anyone interested before I head back in and make some more today!

"Fat and a Half" Children's Apron How-To:

You need:
1 fat quarter (18" x 22") for body of apron and neck strap
1 skinny quarter (9" x 22") of coordinating fabric for pocket & ties (IF you make pocket 4" wide ~ otherwise, a 2nd fat quarter
pattern cut from paper

Directions:
1. Transfer pattern from sketch included to paper and cut out.
2. Fold apron body fabric in half the long way (22" side) and place pattern on the fold. The pattern is only 16" wide, so slide the fabric a bit so that you have the 2" hanging out and can use that piece for the neck strap. Cut out.
3. Place pattern pieces for pocket and ties on coordinating fabric and cut out.
4. Take pocket fabric and fold over 1/4" on the top edge. Press. Fold over again and sew.
5. Place pocket fabric right side up on wrong side of apron. Sew 1/2" seam. Flip to the front, press and sew 1/4" from edge. Your pocket creates a nice tidy bottom seam!
6. Press all edges of apron at 1/4". Turn and sew.
7. To make neck loop and ties: press under 1/4" along long edges. Turn right sides together. Sew across the end of each piece to keep neat and tidy and then turn right side out, press again and sew along open edge as close to the edge as you can get.
8. Turn under the ends and put that part in next to the fabric. Decide where to place your ties and sew them on the back side to secure. Do the same with the neck loop.
9. Ta da! You're done!

Wondering what the heck I am talking about? Stop by my Facebook page and go to the discussion area. I have more pictures there of the "how-to" aspect.
Happy creating!

No comments:

Post a Comment